Monday, January 10, 2011

How a lot of Tattoo Artist Need to learn to enjoy art

To be a true Tattoo Artist an individual must really love art in general. As for myself I enjoy landscape painting, classical music, and clay. Other artist might be into working with metals to form a shape or image while others like drawing and collecting. The point being is yes we are really the only profession were we get paid good money to do the stuff we love. We get to come to work everyday and create a piece of art that is going to be with someone the rest of their life.

A question I have for most artist and things I really don't see is "Why don't you make money with your drawings? Why don't you make money with your sculpture?" I grew up with an artist who now practices in Texas. Not only is he a fantastic tattoo artist- he's a real good painter and loves to draw. In marketing he not only promotes his tattoos, he also sells his drawings and paintings online through his personal website.

To be a truly great tattoo artist an individual must really love art and creating it. It isn't real hard to copy something off a wall and tattoo someone. It is dedication on the part of the artist to dive into custom work for his/her clients. Draw something using your imagination and then put it on flesh and sell your original along with the tattoo. By doing that the client truly has an original piece. If an artist has a whole drawing pad full of art they can sell those as flash sheets to all the shops or through distributors. I've seen it over my whole career where the artist just gets in the routine of just tattooing and not exploring multiple avenues of the industry. When an individual does this they lose the edge. They accept life as a one path to the end kind of mentality. By accepting this path the individuals art starts to suffer and so do the clients.

If an individual just getting started in the business I suggest real strongly that they dive deep into the profession and explore what is right for them. Don't be just another tattoo artist that accepts his/her current situation and performs at sub par levels. Go out to the woods and sit and enjoy the scenery, draw what you feel at that moment. Go out and dive into photography and capture the images that can be put to use in ideas for tattoos. Let yourself experience emotions which can add a new dimension to your art. To be a true artist an individual must go with the flow, they don't have to be the best in the world at painting or tattooing. The individual just has to let their creative side come out and stop being hidden on the surface. Most of us are taught at an early age that being creative will not do us any good in life. I beg to differ on that point because it's that creativity that lets us enjoy life more fully.

5 comments:

  1. For me personally I love drawing portraits and pin ups. And my utensil of choice is a pencil or acrylic paints. I had the advantage of growing up in very artistic home where when I was little my mom would draw a different picture everyday on my lunch bag or my dad would sit and teach me how to draw. I was als very lucky in the choice of c=schools I attended and had been in art classes since the 3rd grade. It takes time and effort to be great at something and I'm glad I put my time and effort into art because now I have been givin the opportuniy of a lifetime with my apprenticeship at Aberration. I wouldn't change that for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. There are many ways a person's creativity can generate revenue, and you have to seek out new avenues - because being able to cross-promote yourself may unleash a cash windfall, and you won't know about it if you don't at least doing a little bit of research, trial, and error.

    As a kid I always loved drawing and making things in art class. When I was a teenager, and art classes were no longer offered, my attention switched to guitar. I've found that the lowest points in my life have been when I did not have a creative outlet, so now I pursue creativity at a feverish pace, and it makes a difference. It really does.

    Since beginning the class, I've found that I'm looking at things differently, studying shapes, lines, and shadows the most. I feel compelled to draw more and more, as taking years off of sketching and drawing off has shown me that I need to practice practice practice. I feel I am a better artist now then when I last took it seriously, but I know I have much more to learn.

    As a busy, working (and local veteran) musician, I run into other 'musicians' who behave exactly the same as other creative persons. Some practice daily, fight through their adversities, and are people you can count on gig-after-gig to have their parts perfect, and well practiced. Others act enthusiastic, but barely ever get their instrument out of the case until the next show. They have many mistakes while playing, and never seem to progress as a musician. We all know the saying that "You're only as strong as your weakest link". In music (in a BAND), the weakest link will make the whole band look bad.

    I think this could also apply to a tattoo shop, in that you should embrace the creative ones...the ones who pursue all avenues, thereby learning new things which can be incorporated to your future technique and work.

    I embrace my creativity now. 2011 is a year I promised myself major life changes, and it is beginning to show results with the effort I am putting out there.

    I see things now and think of how it could be incorporated into a tattoo, and I keep a sketch pad handy should the inspiration strike. As I focus on tattoo, I find it becomes easier and easier to go from concept-to-completion, and feel the more time I spend with this, the better I become, not only as an ARTIST, but as a HUMAN, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every artist has to love all art period or they are not a real artist. Myself i like the computer animation and design. All sorts of music inspire me, i dont have a real set genre i listen too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been into art since before I can remember. The last few years, however, my art has taken a back seat to my kids and the stress of life. It is really depressing to think of how little I have produced since high school. I have managed to do a christmas card every year, a few contests and family projects, and sketch occasionally but when I think of putting a portfolio together I don't see it as having much in it. But this opportunity is breathing new life into my creativity! I see that if I work hard enough I can make a living doing art, especially if I do multiple kinds and promote myself. I am truley inspired and excited to see where my life goes from here. I vow to make art not excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes i dont believe in my self... i dont know if i dont like to draw or i need alot of help with my imagination but one thing that i do know is that i need to get on it to be a pro artist

    ReplyDelete